Where Your Missionary Support Goes
When you support a missionary,
where do those funds go? Sometimes, when we hear that a missionary needs to raise five or six thousand dollars or more per month, we might wonder why so much; especially when we might not make that much ourselves.
T. J. Addington, Senior Vice President with the Evangelical Free Church of America and the leader of ReachGlobal, the international mission of the EFCA, wrote an enlightening article on that topic on the Reach Global web site. It details some of the things covered in a typical missionary's support amount which are over and above the missionary's salary. Here is a list of some of them:
- health insurance*
- travel expenses (for all ministry related travel domestically and internationally)*
- ministry expenses*
- cost of educating children overseas
- taxes (including all of social security)*
- continuing education*
- cost of setting up a home overseas
* Each of the starred items are “hidden costs” in the United States as these are paid partially or fully by secular employers and never show up as compensation.
You can read the entire article at Reach Global.
For your convenience, we've placed links just below this text to facilitate your financial participation in the work of Bible Basics and our missionary staff. You may either give a special gift to Bible Basics International, one of our ongoing projects or special projects, or to one of our missionaries. You may also set up regular monthly support for Bible Basics International or one of our missionaries.
••• OR •••
••• OR •••